8.18.2011

What the what!

Man, shit is happening for me. I feel this incredible sense of accomplishment after spending this summer really coming into my own as an adult and taking responsibility for my thoughts, emotions, actions, and reactions. I've had my rough days, but ultimately I've had an amazing summer where I learned what it is to truly be grateful and practice gratitude in everyday life and understand how blessed I am.

I admit I only recently had begun to accept my position as unemployed and understand that I was going to have to practice patience to the utmost degree. I think I had JUST gotten to that point my head mid last week. I won't say I was perfect - in fact, the story of how I got this job involves a grumpy, crappy mood.

But nonetheless, there has been a lot of growth, a lot of humbling moments, and a lot of learning going on this summer. And I am happy about that.

So here is the basic story of how I got my job. Yes, it's true! I have a job. It makes me nervous to say this, as I am paranoid something will come along and yank it away from me, but I don't think that will happen, I start on Monday and I am thrilled.

Two weeks ago, I posted a situation wanted ad on Cynopsis out of desperation. I was contacted by two recruiters and a woman looking for some office organization/computer tutoring. I spent last week speaking with recruiters and working with the woman, made some extra cash and then was sent on an interview by one of the recruiters. However, it wasn't in the film industry - it was an advertising agency, but as I explained to her I am open to work outside of the industry and not sure if it is what I ultimately want to do in my life. Long story short, I went on the interview and it went really well, but I left it ultimately with a bad taste in my mouth because I felt like I was probably going to get an offer but that I really wasn't sure if I wanted to take it. The job seemed, quite frankly, to be pretty boring and the people at the company seemed somewhat dim. But it seemed like it MIGHT be a good starting point for a career, and it was somewhat related to television.

I spent the rest of the day sort of grumpy and frustrated, feeling like I was stuck in a weird space where if they offered me a job, I couldn't really refuse, but unsure of what I wanted to do with myself. Then, around 6pm that evening, an e-mail popped up in my inbox with the subject "job opening". It was from someone saying they recently received my resume, gave a job description, and asked me to call if I was interested. It was a job at a below the line management company, and relief flooded over me as I got this weird sense that this job was perfect for me.

I called the guy about 15 minutes later, he sounded surprised to hear from me, said something about interviews happening next week, and we scheduled a time. The next day, he pushed my interview back a day by e-mail. A part of me felt mildly discouraged - didn't they know this was the perfect job for me? But the other part of me felt like I needed to rev it up and really bring it to the interview, because this WAS the perfect job and they needed to know it.

It is worth noting in the midst of this, I also was setting up an interview to temp for a week and a half at a  small production company. I went in and interviewed for that on Monday, and it went incredibly well, the girl was ready to hire me on the spot but told me she'd be in touch. My interview for the management co was Tuesday morning, and I spent most of Monday dealing with that other interview, checking out a couple of potential new places to live, and having uber amounts (and wonderful amounts!) of phone time with M.

Tuesday morning rolled around, I drove out to Santa Monica, hung out on the promenade for a bit to kill time, then made the trek up to the offices. I walked in to my new boss EXCITED to see me, saying "Dawn's here!" and my other new boss on video chat on his laptop. The interview was great, I felt good about the people, they seemed chill and down to earth and made me laugh. They respected and appreciated my experience and background, and I was able to pitch to them several things I would bring to the table.

I walked out of there an hour later, feeling like I probably had the job. I got the call 3 or 4 hours later with the offer, and I accepted on the spot. [About an hour later I was also offered that temp job, which I obviously turned down.]

Anyway, I'm super excited about this. The pay is horrible, but I am aware that I can deal with very little income and be okay, after this summer. I will be okay. I am positive that I can bring a LOT to this company and I hope that soon we will be growing due to my help and therefore I will be in a position to get a raise eventually.

In other good news, I had a first date this past saturday with a guy who messaged me on OKC about a week ago. It was a really good night, the conversation was very easy and he was really cute and nice. I was all up in arms wondering if he was going to be in touch with me or not and if I should text him and yadda yah, and while I was talking about this on the phone with M, on Monday (not even 48 hrs later!) he called me and asked if I wanted to go out again. I said I'd love to and we made plans to get some mexican food tomorrow night... soo..... that's cool! I'm really excited about this, of course also mildly nervous, but I have a good feeling about it.

So things are coming together. Very very quickly, very crazily, they are indeed coming together. Let's see what this fall brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment